Sunday, April 15, 2007

"Heh-heh-heh-HEH-heh!"

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Please forgive the quality of this photo - I lack both the equipment and the know-how of Abraham, the Nature Guru.

But this Pileated Woodpecker's hammering the palm tree outside my window reminded me of the famous animated cartoon - Woody Woodpecker - and how he came to be. Apparently Walter Lantz, the Hollywood producer, honeymooned in Sherwood Lake, California with his wife Gracie. A noisy woodpecker outside their cabin kept the couple awake at night and when a heavy rain started, they learned that the bird had bored holes in their cabin's roof ;-) Gracie, bless her heart, suggested that her husband make a cartoon about the bird, and thus Woody was born.

If have 5 minutes to spare, take a look at this 1975 episode "Under the Counter Spy". If not, just listen to the opening credits and his famous "Heh-heh-heh-HEH-heh!" laugh. Tell me if that does not take you back to those early Saturday mornings in front of the TV set...

21 comments:

Kate said...

I enjoy the photo because the bird is doing something so natural, and you gave us a peek into its activity. Love the tree trunk also. What kind of tree??

Kalyan Panja said...

A wonderfully captured shot...well done!

Nikon said...

A great shot - I love the story - they were kept up all night on their honeymoon by a bird?

Kala said...

Isabella - u are so funny - i love the youtube yippie!!!! Cartoons are sooooo fun!!!

Anonymous said...

We have some in the woods around here but I'v never got close enogh to photograph one. However what amazes me is HOW can they DO THAT first thing in the morning?

Anonymous said...

I have some 40 photos or more by now of a Pileated Woodpecker. I do not have "the" shot I want yet. And to have one outside and in your tree or near you is just amazing. I wish.

Abraham Lincoln

Anonymous said...

It is nice to have birds and other animals who are so willing to pose for you. Good work!

isa said...

Kate - that's a sabal palmetto or a cabbage palm, as we call it, and Florida state tree.

alice said...

No monsters today, ouf!

magiceye said...

lovely picture!

Dsole said...

wow, I do remeber him! In Spain it was "el pájaro carpintero" and made me really funny when I was a little girl
Nice info, I didn't know how this cartoon was born!
have a great day! :)

Monica said...

This is delightful! I remember that episode, it was fun to watch it again.
I didn't know the story of the creation of this cartoon. One's gotta be very creative to come up with a character like that after having holes in your roof!

Here Woody's name was "O Pica-Pau"!

Jing said...

:P
cute woodpecker
hee hee...i am back today anyway.
:))
so catch the time to visit.

jing
shanghai daily photo

Jilly said...

Listen lady, just send me a bottle of that tonic. Okay!

Jx

TORUŃ DAILY PHOTO said...

Hee hee! Such a blast from the past! I used to love Woody Woodpecker. Love the photo! You are so lucky to see that sort of bird in the wild!

rauf said...

Do you open the door when you hear the woodpecker merrily tickkity tocking thinking that some one is knocking your door ?

This picture is pretty good Isabella, it is very clear. We get a good idea.

CaBaCuRl said...

Haha, yep I sure do remember that Woody Woodpecker call. No nightmares in your photo today!

Nathalie H.D. said...

Wonderful ! Both the nature shot and the great cartoon!

Carlos Lorenzo said...

I must have seen them all, some thousands of time. Big fan. I loved the walrus too. I specially like the one about the coin that goes down the bathtub drain. You are really lucky to watch such birds from your window. I only see pigeons, and pigeons...

Chuckeroon said...

Izzy, I can only say it again....the results you get with your little camera are so good. Seriously....well done.

Eric said...

This is one animal we don't see much of in Paris or France. The quality is just fine for such a great candid shot. Bravo!