Monday, October 1, 2007

Theme day - tombstone


I have to beg your indulgence again: I am currently not in Naples, so am not able to show you our local cemetery. But you know me, always hate to miss the party ;-). So please, pretend with me, that we are in Paris today (we could do worse, right?)

This is a photo of the tomb of my beloved composer, Frederick Chopin, taken on a cold and rainy afternoon at Père-Lachaise Cemetery.

If you have a minute (or 6!), please listen to one of my favorite pieces by Chopin - his Nocturne, Opus 27 #2. Especially fitting, if it's raining where you are...


There are currently 100 blogs participating in this theme day:

St. Louis (MO), USA - San Diego (CA), USA - Cleveland (OH), USA - New York City (NY), USA - Boston (MA), USA - Mainz, Germany - Hyde, UK - Arlington (VA), USA - Cape Town, South Africa - Saint Paul (MN), USA - Toulouse, France - Arradon, France - Menton, France - Monte Carlo, Monaco - Montego Bay, Jamaica - Ampang (Selangor), Malaysia - Joplin (MO), USA - Cottage Grove (MN), USA - Bellefonte (PA), USA - Mexico (DF), Mexico - Seattle (WA), USA - Baziège, France - Baltimore (MD), USA - Chandler (AZ), USA - Sequim (WA), USA - Stayton (OR), USA - Stockholm, Sweden - Austin (TX), USA - Singapore, Singapore - Anderson (SC), USA - Greenville (SC), USA - Wassenaar (ZH), Netherlands - Nashville (TN), USA - Tenerife, Spain - Manila, Philippines - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Jacksonville (FL), USA - River Falls (WI), USA - Chateaubriant, France - Quincy (MA), USA - Rabaul, Papua New Guinea - Buenos Aires, Argentina - Crystal Lake (IL), USA - Inverness (IL), usa - Lubbock (TX), USA - Phoenix (AZ), USA - Moscow, Russia - Norwich (Norfolk), UK - Crepy-en-Valois, France - Minneapolis (MN), USA - New Orleans (LA), USA - Montréal (QC), Canada - West Sacramento (CA), USA - Toruń, Poland - Philadelphia (PA), USA - Christchurch, New Zealand - London, England - Paderborn, Germany - The Hague, Netherlands - Selma (AL), USA - Sunderland, UK - Kyoto, Japan - Tokyo, Japan - Stavanger, Norway - Fort Lauderdale (FL), USA - Weston (FL), USA - Portland (OR), USA - Forks (WA), USA - Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation - Maple Ridge (BC), Canada - Boston (MA), USA - Sydney, Australia - Wellington, New Zealand - Montpellier, France - Jackson (MS), USA - Wailea (HI), USA - Petaling Jaya (Selangor), Malaysia - Evry, France - Saarbrücken, Germany - New York City (NY), USA - Santa Fe (NM), USA - North Bay (ON), Canada - Melbourne, Australia - Port Vila, Vanuatu - Cypress (TX), USA - Saint Louis (MO), USA - Paris, France - San Diego (CA), USA - Wichita (Ks), USA - Haninge, Sweden - Prague, Czech Republic - Zurich, Switzerland - Budapest, Hungary - Paris, France - Saigon, Vietnam

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember ages ago we drove past a cemetery and my soon to be step father asked me how many people were dead in that cemetery and I looked and said, "Maybe 200." He looked back and me in the rear seat and blurted out, "All of them!"

Then he laughed like a mad man.

Nice photograph.

rauf said...

What are you talking Izzidee ?
i had lunch with him last week.

honestly Izzidee, i am not joking, there is a musician here in Chennai, quite famous really, who seriously thinks that he is Mozart.
or reincarnation of Mozart.

Chris said...

Nice shot!
BTW. . .It just dawned on me that in all the times I've been to SWF, I haven't seen a cemetery there. . .*NOT* that I was looking or particularly wanted to find one. . .

Kate said...

Your favorite composer and my favorite cemetery. Have photos of this maestro and James Morrison's graves, as well as a few well-chosen others. What a place this is!!

Felicia said...

Thanks for sharing your favorite gravestone. What a fun place to visit that would be!

Steve Cuddihy said...

This is a surprise to see, quite a composer and an awesome photo.

kuanyin333 said...

What a lovely combo: great gravesite and great music! You sure have style Isabella! Happy October Theme Day!

Lavenderlady said...

I would indulge you in what ever you like to get to see your wonderful photos.

alice said...

My first thought was: "Tiens, un cimetière français en Floride?" ("a French cemetery in Florida?). Nice shot, Isabella, have a nice trip!

Olivier said...

une tombe si belle et si romantique. merci pour la video


a tomb so beautiful and so romantic. thank you for the video one

TORUŃ DAILY PHOTO said...

I've also been to Chopin's grave. It's beautiful. My mother would love your post today as she is crazy about Chopin and his music. Every year I have to buy her something Chopin related. Last year it was a book about his funeral!

Nikon said...

Great shot, so European.

Gerald (SK14) said...

excellent choice for the theme

R&R said...

A great choice ... when we were there Chopin's grave had more visitors than Morrison's. We felt sorry for poor ol' Rossini, as we were the only ones at his grave.

Jilly said...

Beautiful. I always know I can rely on you to wake me up! Your posts are always so original. Am ashamed to say I've never visited Pere Lachaise but that will be rectified within the next year.

Jilly said...

Forgot to thankyou for the music. No rain here but not necessary to enjoy this. Takes me back - way back - to my first boyfriend who was, at the time, studying to get into the Royal College of Music and practiced Chopin endlessly. He missed a place in the college by one. I often wonder how his life would have turned out had he got in.

Anonymous said...

It is raining here today - after a lonf drought. It fit the somber tone but I can't really be unhappy since the rain brings renewal. Sort of like his music.

Marie said...

Very beautiful photo, Isabella. I cheated a little bit too. I posted a photo of the very old cemetery in Carcassonne. I wanted to go and take a photo of the tomb of an Italian queen who has been buried in Montpellier but I have got the flu.......

Bravo et bon séjour à Paris.

Bergson said...

The "Pére Lachaise" is for me most beautiful of the cemeteries.

Anonymous said...

How fun! To change locales! I was just thinking when I saw your picture..."finally something in Naples that looks gritty and lived-in and OLD!" :) Ha! :) You'll have to show the Naples cemetery another time. I'm sure it's a clean-scrubbed and bright and beautiful as the rest of Naples. :)

Anonymous said...

I've never been there, but I'm amused by the "Fred Chopin", almost as funny as calling Verdi "Jo Green". You've probably guessed I'm a Beethoven man m'self

Denton said...

A nice choice and surprise with the music. I love Chopin and his Nocturne, Opus 27, is especially nice.

Lynette said...

I'll willing pretend I'm in Paris with you! Great photo to go along with the dream. On my first student/teacher trip to Europe in 1994, my younger son Leland went to the cemetery to find Jim Morrison's grave--he missed something beautiful if he didn't see Chopin's. I'll have to show him the photo to see if by chance he got to see it. Thanks!

Gerald (SK14) said...

I see now that Montpellier DP has also published this same cemetery but showing Morrison's grave - I prefer Chopin myself -- and on the musical theme - Kate in Saint Petersburg has Tchaikovski's tomb.

My list is up to 97 with 15 registered blogs not yet posted and 5 having posted off-topic [so unlisted by me]

Anonymous said...

No, that is Mickey on my T-shirt but I like Minnie too. Thanks for the visit.

Lynette said...

Isabella, I've always heard that some folks start to look similar to each other after many years together. Perhaps that's what happened with the Stephens. I too see a similarity. My parents were married 57 and a half years before Daddy died in 1999, and I must say they never looked like each other, though.

Thanks so much for visiting on theme day.

GMG said...

Tombstones and Graveyards? What a theme... Actually, the only possible exception would be Père Lachaise. It had to be you!
Great job and great music!

freefalling said...

I'm on dial-up in the country at the moment.
I waited ages and ages for the music to come - all to no avail!

Regarding the "tip shop" - awwww, come on! What do you call those places where you take your rubbish - tip, dump, refuse centre? I don't think I've ever heard the American word for it - it's not something usually included in your tv shows. Strange, no tv shows about the tip!

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi Isabella,
A great shot, I think I saw it in (France) Paris are you NOW there? See? I am pretending you are in the European Paris?:) I believe so you are:)

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

:) good night :)
on you reaction "go to sleep" I will, bye:)

Susan said...

Stunning statuary. Very touching.
Glad you joined the party!

Ming the Merciless said...

Wow, that is a very nice tomb stone.

Steve Buser said...

Isabella, A touching tale of a tomb. Sorry about the late comment. I was away yesterday, just getting back to my computer and seeing all the posts I missed.

By the way, when you come to New Orleans we can enroll you in swimming lessons.

--steve buser
New Orleans Daily Photo

www.photo-effe.com said...

What a fascinating story

Mandy said...

I did not know about Chopin's tomb - I see people still lay flowers there which seems OTT to me though I'll listen to his music anytime.

lv2scpbk said...

I like how she seems to be watching over this.

Janet said...

No wonder there are flowers at the tomb. Beautiful!

JAM said...

What a neat thing. I mean, I hate that he's dead, but we all have to check out sometime, but at least he has a stylish resting place.

Anonymous said...

Good words.