Thursday, October 25, 2007

The quiet before the storm

Third Street South, downtown Naples

The official season for South West Florida does not begin until November 1st. That's when hordes of "snowbirds" (residents from the cold, northern parts of the US and Canada) descend on Naples and its environs. They stay up to 6 months in their second homes and condos, boosting the local economy and contributing to the wellness of the region.

Then, there are "the visitors". They swoop in at the heart of the season - February and March -
populate our beaches with their pale, weary bodies and empty their full, bulging wallets into our stores and restaurants, all the while stretching the local resources to the max.

And that leaves you, "the tourist" - carving out a week or two out of your busy schedule to escape the cold and snow and melt in the sun. To you I say: come, you won't be disappointed, but if at all possible, avoid the full season (February and March).

You'll thank me ;-)

13 comments:

Kate said...

A welcome invitation, but, dear Isabella, if I come to Florida, it will be for the full season as a snowbird. Mexico first. Next winter it'll be Santa Fe or perhaps Florida or ....

Janet said...

Thank you!
If only I could carve out a week to head further south...

Felicia said...

I can't wait to be a snowbird or a visitor with that kind of time on my hands. Good advice for tourists! :)

Nikon said...

I've never been to the South, maybe this winter, who knows?
And Key West, of course :)

JaamZIN said...

you sense of humor makes me smile allways. I wanna empty my wallet there, too:)

Peter said...

I suppose you only accept tourists withh full wallets (on their arrival)?

Anonymous said...

I already have trouble "carving" a turkey so how can I do that to a week or two?
But it sure sounds like a perfect place to be.
One thing to remember, at least you know that Naples will be warm, Arizona seems to always have snow.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

HeyyyyyyIsabella,
You changed your profile picture!!!! I loved the other 'atletic' one too, but this one is good also hahaha. Glad you like my wrinkles and freckles, BTW I forgot to name that we have also been to Florida (daytona beach/Tampa and Miami) Loooooong time ago with Christmas, I remeber it was SO QUITH there. No-oe on the roads driving and when they did is was so sloooooowwww, hahaha we are used to be in a hurry alwys here in Holland.

Also an answer on your Question: Isabella we (partner and me) met on our work 22 years ago, both we were having our own partner, and knowing me ... "I am very mongame'(that was 2 years before we went to Paris, and I switch from that job )That was in HOLLAND, so we lost each other 'out of the eye' I won (on my other job) a price for 2 persons to PARIS and I invited my old collage/HIM, Now he's my BEST pal and best life partner, we went together to PARIS as friends and came back as couple in love:) haha!

So this year we celebrate our 0th anniversary in PARIS, our first kiss was under the ARC the THRIOMP. so now you know:)

JoAnn Greetings :)

Jilly said...

Looks perfection, Isabella. I'll be there one of these fine days ... for sure. Be careful - you might have all the DP family all on one of your glorious beaches. Now that'd be something, wouldn't it? And all running away from the alligator.

Anonymous said...

My son says the tourists keep him from paying taxes or maybe so much in taxes. I guess they are like migrating birds. Snow birds.

GMG said...

OK, we'll all be packing to Naples... sooner or later!

JaamZIN said...

finally I wrote my 8 random facts after you tagged me:)

Anonymous said...

When is the best time to come for stone crabs? Because if I empty my wallet, that is what I want to empty it on! :-)