Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Uptown, downtown #2

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Americans refer to Wednesday as "hump day" - that little bump in the middle of the week that you have to get over...I'm hoping this particular photo will help you do just that ;-)

This famous building, dating back to 1921, is one of the oldest in Naples (I can hear all you foreign visitors laughing out loud!). Since its inception, the landmark served as a movie theater, church, city hall, development firm, county library and an ice cream parlour. That certainly gives me pause: what kind of imagination is needed to walk into a church and decide "yes, this is the perfect place for an ice cream store"?

This week, for some inexplicable reason, the front courtyard is filled with water fountains and pool sculptures. Any of them catch your fancy?

15 comments:

Ming the Merciless said...

I want that tall fountain for my living room. I will remove the couch, the tv, the shelves and install only garden chairs around it. I can have a little indoor garden in my living room. :-)

Carol E. said...

When do you bless us with the answer to Tuesday's quiz?

alice said...

In France, maybe have we some (really) old houses but not even one little wild alligator, except in zoos of course!
These fountains are a bit...sophisticated to me!
And not a word about the "truc bizarre" of yesterday?

Olivier said...

belle collection très kitsch de statue


beautiful collection very kitsch of statue

Dsole said...

oh my!
I think they're too big for my house! There is no tiny fountain designed for little Madrid flats? ^^

Kate said...

The sky is blue, the sun is bright,--a lawn filled with water fountains is not needed, but, if I must, I'd select the dolphins.

Deb said...

Wow! for a building with a relatively short history (in European and Middle-Eastern terms), it certainly has enjoyed a colorful life!
Guess if we had those fountains in Minnesota, those fetching maidens would require parkas in the winter....

Anonymous said...

From a purely scientific tack, I wonder if the mermaid has been "enhanced" or if she is natural. As I said this is for science.

rauf said...

I wonder what came after the Church
Were the mermaid there before the Church or were installed when the Ice cream parlour opened ?

Anonymous said...

I love the dolphins. They all look lonely without water gushing around and from them! (The color schemes in your pictures are so different from my world. Love it!)

Oya said...

Ahhh, I love the dolphins...

Anonymous said...

I love the "Olde" in the sign. Ha!

That tall one with the fluting mer-person on top would look fantastic next to our barn.

Anonymous said...

The fine collection out front sets it off. I like it.
720 pixels
Brookville Daily Photo

isa said...

Ruth - you cannot have naked pixies and mermaids hanging around your barn - what would your cat say? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think Bishop would run away in fright like she does from the turkey buzzards. She's a great huntress, but she doesn't take chances with those that's bigger than her.

I told Chris&Deb you were hitting me in the back seat in Iowa. I hope you'll behave for the rest of the trip, or I'll tell on you again.